Thursday, May 27, 2010

40 Days of Faith 2010!

It's that time of year again! A new chance to cheer each other on as we talk to God about our hopes and dreams.

I'll start off with a confession: It's been quite a year since last we gathered. There have been huge ups and terrifying downs, and as I told some friends on Monday night, I'm feeling very in touch with the tension King Solomon describes in Proverb 13, about how dreams deferred can make our heart sick, while dreams coming true bring us new life. It's weird how the two can coexist.

If I had any doubt that I could use a faith infusion, it was pushed away definitively this morning, when I woke up with an undeniable need to watch George Michael remind me that I've gotta have faith. (Who wakes up thinking that???) I guess this comes under the heading of, The Lord works in mysterious ways, because I've felt better ever since. Somehow when I ask for faith (even via George Michael), I get enough faith to keep asking...so that's where I am this year. Ready to dive in and keep asking, in need of one of those moments where God so exceeds anything I could ask or imagine that I truly understand why He's in charge and I'm not. How about you?

We'll start off this year's spiritual adventure on Tuesday, June 1st.

Our big question: What would you like Jesus to do for you?
We'll pray for that thing, whatever that is, every day for 40 days. This year we'll try out a format I've found helpful from Psalm 40 (more on that next week) that will help us pray even in those moments when we're not quite sure what to say. I think this will be fun...and fruitful...and encouraging. All good things! I hope you'll join in.

If you're new to the blog, here's a link to the original description from our first 40 Days of Faith two years ago, along with some tips for starting out. And I'll re-post a quick note of solace/encouragement for those of you who prayed for something big last year (or the year before) and haven't seen it happen yet: Me, neither. That doesn't mean we have to give up, or that God's answer is "no." I'm not sure what it means. But I guess my best response is to give God 40 more days to revisit the conversation :)

Want to join in? Leave a comment below!

I'll meet you back here on Tuesday :)

15 comments:

Sarakastic said...

Ohh I was just checking out this blog yesterday hoping that you were going to do this again this year. I'm in once again.

Gretchen said...

I'm in as well.

julieannaf said...

I'm in!

Holly said...

Oooo, I want to play! I almost feel like I'm cheating, doing this on the heels of the 40 Days we did at church, but mostly I'm excited to be so brazen about asking God for things :).

KristyWes said...

I'm in! A little apprehensive, maybe, but I'm in!

Unknown said...

I'm definitely in. I'm moving to a new city/state in a few weeks and will be counting on God for a lot of things over the coming months (a job, awesome Christian friends, settling in, etc)

Anna said...

I'm in.

Unknown said...

I'm in! Thanks for organizing!

himmiefan said...

I can't wait!

larramiefg said...

Wondered if you'd be back this year, Trish. With A MAZE OF GRACE coming out on June 22nd, you already have an abundance of faith to juggle it all.

kim said...

So glad we are doing this together!

Suz said...

Feeling the need for faith... I'm in!

KimberlyH said...

I'm in!

Anonymous said...

i wondered if you were going to be up to this again this year. i am excited to see that you are! :O)

Unknown said...

I'm in. In the past 12 months I've been tested and I questioned God a lot. I am believing God for restoration in the next 40 days.